I think it is. It's especially hard for those entering the industry or starting to get more involved in digital. For those of us who have been in the game a long time we are in fact topping up, rather than discovering it all from afresh. Much easier.
People are generally good at using online tools to keep-up (RSS readers etc.) and scan well. The problem I see is people get caught up in lots of whizy cool stuff and then find it difficult to keep up with the things that matter - or even know what those things really are in the first place.
The things that really matter (top of the list) haven't really changed:
- Your company or client companies
- Your or their competitors
- Your or their markets
- Have others been doing some of the things you want to or are about to do - what can you learn?
- What likely technology influences are there acting on the competitive paradigm?
- What threats are there in this?
- What consumer insights can you use to determine where the next opportunity is?