Sunday 28 February 2010

Thought for the week

I've been talking to a lot of people at the moment about the fact that it is like another boom period for digital at the moment. I'm not entirely sure why it is happening. It could be that digital was the right answer for a lot of the challenges thrown up by the credit crunch. I don't think this is why though. I think it is the fact that people in digital are growing up and everyone else is finally realising it is where they need to focus to succeed.

This weeks thought is based on my feelings about what has stopped certain organisations from really embrassing digital and taking advantage of the opportunities it has presented. And I truly believe it is a fear of failure. I think that fearing failure generally is healthy, but as with any fears you have to balance out the risk i.e. what can we do to work towards the opportunity but plan for the risks effectively? Some organisations get so caught up in the risks and the potential of failure this eventually takes over and the original opportunity is lost.

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure." The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment